Skip to main content

Buy the Print Edition of Radical Second Things!

Liberating and Re-Branding

Your donation is encouraged to help keep Radical Second Things going on its mission to spread liberation theology and Franciscan ideas. 



For the last few years, I have been lethargic. I am just being honest about it. Perhaps not a total bum - I did volunteer work at charities or organizations like Tikkun, intentionally avoiding anything really professional, along with freelance jobs that were irregular in pay. I skated by and even figured out an elaborate system for myself to make it functional. The closest to a regular job I had was doing transcriptions for Rev, an Uber like transcription company based out of San Francisco.

Then over the last year, someone came in to my life that messed that up. Ignoring all excuses, she reminded me repeatedly that I was basically being a bum without using that word and also saying how intelligent I was and how many skills I knew about. I responded very badly when initially met with this and only got worse and worse as it went on - until I couldn't deny what the problem was.

I currently have two newspaper jobs but that sort of freelance work is not a 9-5 regular job like most normal people have. It's no one's fault but my own that I have evaded this responsibility. My epilepsy or (possible, who knows at this point) autism spectrum disorder has nothing to do with it. I do tasks in private that happen in regular work.

I am going to update the RST audience on how my effort to transform myself goes. I can be alot better than this and the terrible times we live in is no excuse either, just a challenge.

*

Glenn Beck, the venerated conservative talk show host, recently radically rebranded and changed the face of his operation. Whereas only a few years ago, he sounded like conservative talk radio is known to sound with bellicose and ominous talking points and guitar riffs, his show now sounds a  bit more like NPR. There's quiet jazz and classical music intros followed by conversational talking that is detached and world weary in comparison to Beck less than ten years ago.

In interviews, he said that we can "not continue to do business the way it has previously been done." When I worked for Tikkun, the Jewish magazine founded by Rabbi Michael Lerner, we had some uncomfortable talks where going out and raising money for the magazine, now a dire need, had just not really been thought about before.

It is possible to make money from self-expression and art. People did it for a long time before the internet. The internet made a whole lot of things more accessible, sure - you can now go look at a .jpg of an art piece instead of having to pay to look at it in a gallery. However, tangible things are still not free unless you allow them to be free, just like in the real world. Even an artist could have had a free viewing if he so wanted or just passed out prints for no charge.

So here is how you succeed at publishing online - make yourself valuable. I have had several instances where I helped provide access to artists through this website, giving them hundreds of views and attention to their work. When I asked for a donation, they were usually willing to do so, having valued what I provided for them. I didn't honestly think this would work until I tried it.

This isn't branding yourself in the traditional sense but is not too far away from being an agent. It's a bit odd for journalists to think of themselves as agent but in the tech economy, they sort of are.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

No More Rev

So I was working as a transcribor for Rev for the last four months. I stayed on despite a few very bad ratings. Over the last few weeks, my ratings were on point, regularly getting 5/5 and bringing home 3 figures each week.

I got great ratings this week and then abruptly, tonight, I got this message sent to me: 

Unfortunately, we can no longer keep your transcription specific account open. This is due to your accuracy and quality being below our acceptable average. Your transcription account is being deactivated today. If you have any other account type with us, that will remain open. This decision is final.
You will be compensated for all completed work. Here are your performance metrics for August 6 to October 5.
So, given that message, I would assume that it's time to school my self-esteem, right? I'm obviously not fit for this line of work. Well not quite. Look at the metrics they sent me:
MetricYouRevver TargetRevver+ TargetAccuracy4.34.24.6Formatting4.74.24.6% On-time submiss…

The Nix and the Science of a Great Novel

I recently finished The Nix, a novel by up and coming novelist Nathan Hill, which fits all the standards for a really great novel. Great novels, despite the fluidity of good literature, do tend to follow a formula - a formula that a great artist (and writing is an art) is able to adept to and mold in to his own creation.

A great novel is sweeping. Sweeping or sprawling. These are descriptions you often hear of great books. Benjamin Percy described The Nix as "culturally relevant, politically charged, historically sweeping, sad, full of yearning, sometimes dark, but mostly hilarious." This is something that could also be described with another great American novel, The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay by Michael Chabon, which one critic refered to as a novel with "epic sweep."

Chabon's book swept through roughly three decades - the three protagonists met in the 1930s and only resolved their problems and tensions in the 1950s. Nathan Hill's characters …

Evoke Part Nine: An Art Project By Jordan Denato and Orion Deschamps

RST on Facebook

About Radical Second Things

Michael Orion is a blogger, writer, artist and photographer based in the Bay Area. Besides his maintenance and promotion of Radical Second Things, he contributes to the San Francisco newspaper SF Western Edition, where he writes about local non-profit organizations.

Mark Cappetta is a practicing Catholic and active LGBT activist. He has been instrumental in keeping Radical Second Things and updates the Facebook account almost daily.

Eva Gnostiquette is an artist, programmer, "future scientist," bi-trans girl and graphic designer. She voluntarily helped to create the first print issue Radical Second Things and designed our beautiful banners. Thanks so much, Eva!

Jordan Denato is a professional artist based out of Iowa. He took the initiative to illustrate both Jennifer Reimer's story and Michael Orion's Oscar Romero work. He has his own art studio, Tar and Feather Studios, and is a critical part of Radical Second Things.

Radical Second Things is a liberation theology themed blog that has clear cut goals - we see the structural decline of the United States and much of the west and hope to present alternatives that will offer "a preferential option for the poor" as more become vulnerable.

© 2017 Radical Second Things