Skip to main content

Buy the Print Edition of Radical Second Things!

Portions of Saint Columba's "Justice That Makes Peace Possible" Proposal




Today I attended mass at Saint Columba Catholic Church. For the parishioners, they provide a pamphlet called "The Justice That Makes Peace Possible: An Interfaith Proposal." SCCC seems to be a genuine liberation theology driven Catholic church in the heart of the Bay Area - the sort of congregation that I have hungered for for years.

I want people to see for themselves and to visit their website or, if they are in the area, the church for themselves. However, I really did enjoy parts of the proposal and want to share portions of it here. The text was originally written by Thomas P. Bonacci, C.P. with the Interfaith Peace Project. Check it out:

1. We must become what we want the World to be. It is quite normal to have a vision for the World. We are often disappointed with the World around us and the people we meet and encounter. Sometimes we are angered by the misdeeds of others. The World situation can seem overwhelming. I come to realize what disturbs me. This upset can be the beginning of an uncommon wisdom. If I know what offends me then would I not seek to become what I hope someday will be the reality around me?

3. We must be mindful of our interior disposition especially in times of conflict. Self-care is fundamentally a most socially radical act. The justice that creates peace is found in every thought, word and deed. I keep vigilance at the door of my mind, heart and soul desiring to be aware of how I am when I am preparing to meet and engage another person. I must realize the humanity of others in every moment of my life. I am called to be aware I might be a source of hope and peace to another.

5. We must disarm the hand, the mouth and the mind. I come to realize that my mind can harbor thoughts of violence and retaliation. I come to realize my mouth can strike with harsh words and destructive speech. I come to realize my hand can hold weapons of harm and death. I am struck by the realization of the power I have to destroy or harm another. I take conscious possession of my body, mind and spirit seeking to honor everyone I meet.

8. We must seek to be inspired by those who would be our enemy - seeking their Wisdom. Understanding what may be motivating the "enemy" is most difficult. While we never excuse violence, justice demands understanding. May we never judge another without seeking to be in the other's place.

10. We must stand "impathically" as "others" become our "companions" on the road of life. The "otherness" of people different from ourselves can be an obstacle to meeting them and knowing them. "Impathy" is my conscious willingness to "know" and "see" the World through the mind, heart and soul of the "other" who becomes my companion. Sometimes I might instinctively know what logic, reason and research cannot access I now raise my voice inviting all around me to engage in those deeds of justice by which the dignity and rights of all human beings are recognized and respected.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

No More Rev

So I was working as a transcribor for Rev for the last four months. I stayed on despite a few very bad ratings. Over the last few weeks, my ratings were on point, regularly getting 5/5 and bringing home 3 figures each week.

I got great ratings this week and then abruptly, tonight, I got this message sent to me: 

Unfortunately, we can no longer keep your transcription specific account open. This is due to your accuracy and quality being below our acceptable average. Your transcription account is being deactivated today. If you have any other account type with us, that will remain open. This decision is final.
You will be compensated for all completed work. Here are your performance metrics for August 6 to October 5.
So, given that message, I would assume that it's time to school my self-esteem, right? I'm obviously not fit for this line of work. Well not quite. Look at the metrics they sent me:
MetricYouRevver TargetRevver+ TargetAccuracy4.34.24.6Formatting4.74.24.6% On-time submiss…

The Nix and the Science of a Great Novel

I recently finished The Nix, a novel by up and coming novelist Nathan Hill, which fits all the standards for a really great novel. Great novels, despite the fluidity of good literature, do tend to follow a formula - a formula that a great artist (and writing is an art) is able to adept to and mold in to his own creation.

A great novel is sweeping. Sweeping or sprawling. These are descriptions you often hear of great books. Benjamin Percy described The Nix as "culturally relevant, politically charged, historically sweeping, sad, full of yearning, sometimes dark, but mostly hilarious." This is something that could also be described with another great American novel, The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay by Michael Chabon, which one critic refered to as a novel with "epic sweep."

Chabon's book swept through roughly three decades - the three protagonists met in the 1930s and only resolved their problems and tensions in the 1950s. Nathan Hill's characters …

Evoke Part Nine: An Art Project By Jordan Denato and Orion Deschamps

RST on Facebook

About Radical Second Things

Michael Orion is a blogger, writer, artist and photographer based in the Bay Area. Besides his maintenance and promotion of Radical Second Things, he contributes to the San Francisco newspaper SF Western Edition, where he writes about local non-profit organizations.

Mark Cappetta is a practicing Catholic and active LGBT activist. He has been instrumental in keeping Radical Second Things and updates the Facebook account almost daily.

Eva Gnostiquette is an artist, programmer, "future scientist," bi-trans girl and graphic designer. She voluntarily helped to create the first print issue Radical Second Things and designed our beautiful banners. Thanks so much, Eva!

Jordan Denato is a professional artist based out of Iowa. He took the initiative to illustrate both Jennifer Reimer's story and Michael Orion's Oscar Romero work. He has his own art studio, Tar and Feather Studios, and is a critical part of Radical Second Things.

Radical Second Things is a liberation theology themed blog that has clear cut goals - we see the structural decline of the United States and much of the west and hope to present alternatives that will offer "a preferential option for the poor" as more become vulnerable.

© 2017 Radical Second Things