Skip to main content

Buy the Print Edition of Radical Second Things!

An Interview With Melinda Clayton

My first article for Novel Blogs was a review of the excellent book by Melinda Clayton, Blessed Are the Wholly Broken. I got the book straight from her and so I subsequently asked some interview questions of her. Here goes!

What methods did you use to take the POV of a tragic male character?
As for the male point of view, my husband helped, but mainly the attorney I thank in the front of the book. He’s an old friend of mine who also went to University of Memphis at that time, and lived in that dorm (come to think of it, he’s also the reason I was single that Valentine’s Day – ha!). He continues to believe the character of Brian was based on him (he wasn’t). He beta-read it to make sure I had my legal stuff right, but also to make sure I bad my point of view right as well as my memories of that place and time.
Why the setting of Tennessee?
I grew up in that area of TN. The dorm they lived in (Richardson Towers) was my dorm at University of Memphis. I actually also remember that “most rainy day of the year” on Valentine’s Day – it was awful. I was wet, cold, miserable, and yes – even single. :-)   Later, I worked in the community mental health centers in that area before moving to Holland, then Colorado, and now Florida. I still go back to TN every summer for our family reunion.
You have a career in special education. How did you also get involved in writing?
My career has actually been in mental health, but I’ve taken sort of a roundabout way with it. I’ve worked just about every aspect of it, but my specialty was in working with individuals who have both a mental health diagnosis and a developmental disability of some sort. I spent a lot of time in meetings with schools, in court, etc., and the doctorate in Special Education Administration was crucial in giving me the knowledge needed to advocate for my clients. As for writing, I first began writing articles on mental health issues for newsletters and magazines. Around that time, we had a family move, I had two young kids, and I needed to be able to spend more time with them. It was the perfect time to move from working directly with clients to writing grant proposals, articles, and workshops. Eventually that led to the publication of my first novel.
When I read your book, I could sense that you were from the south or Midwest just by the writing style and the way you presented your characters – even before I got to the setting of Tennessee or read your biography. How has where you’ve grown up inform your writing?
The south is a special place. Cedar Hollow, the tiny mining town in my Cedar Hollow Series, shares characteristics with many of the small southern towns in which I grew up. My dad is from Tennessee and my mom is from West Virginia. I grew up in Tennessee in and around the setting for Blessed Are the Wholly Broken, and spent time during summers in West Virginia. The south is a part of who I am.
Do your prefer your day job or writing?
Over the years, writing has become my day job. There are times I miss the hustle and bustle of working in the mental health field, but writing has always been a passion of mine and it’s the perfect way to work from home so I can be more available to my family. No more emergency calls in the middle of the night. :-)
You’ve written several books – which is your favorite and why?
As for my favorite of my books, that’s a tough one. Appalachian Justice seems to resonate with the most people, and Billy May, the protagonist, will always be close to my heart because I felt haunted by her as I was writing it. It was also my first book, so given that, probably isn’t as technically sound as my later books. Still, I think I’ll have to go with it.
 
What particularly was the impetus for the plot of “Blessed Are The Wholly Broken?”
“Blessed Are the Wholly Broken” came about as I ruminated on a couple of different incidents. Years ago, when I worked inpatient with adolescents, there was a fifteen-year-old resident who was on suicide watch. It was nearly impossible to keep her safe; she had all sorts of creative ways for trying to hurt herself. One day, she told me and my staff that while we could keep her safe there, within the unit, we couldn’t watch her forever. Over time she began to participate in the program. After nearly a year, she was discharged. A week after discharge, she jumped in front of a train and was killed. You can imagine how traumatic that was for everyone involved, including staff who’d worked so closely with her. It’s an incident that’s stayed with me, of course, and led to my writing about someone who was determined to no longer be here.
As for postpartum psychosis, at the time I began writing Blessed there were a couple of different stories in the news about women who, clearly in a psychotic state, had killed their own children. There’s always a massive public outcry when one of these incidents happens, but unfortunately the illness behind the actions often goes unaddressed. I wanted to portray a multifaceted woman who, contrary to her history and to what anyone believed to be true about her, could find herself on that slippery slope, sadly unable to get the help she needed.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

No More Rev

So I was working as a transcribor for Rev for the last four months. I stayed on despite a few very bad ratings. Over the last few weeks, my ratings were on point, regularly getting 5/5 and bringing home 3 figures each week.

I got great ratings this week and then abruptly, tonight, I got this message sent to me: 

Unfortunately, we can no longer keep your transcription specific account open. This is due to your accuracy and quality being below our acceptable average. Your transcription account is being deactivated today. If you have any other account type with us, that will remain open. This decision is final.
You will be compensated for all completed work. Here are your performance metrics for August 6 to October 5.
So, given that message, I would assume that it's time to school my self-esteem, right? I'm obviously not fit for this line of work. Well not quite. Look at the metrics they sent me:
MetricYouRevver TargetRevver+ TargetAccuracy4.34.24.6Formatting4.74.24.6% On-time submiss…

The Nix and the Science of a Great Novel

I recently finished The Nix, a novel by up and coming novelist Nathan Hill, which fits all the standards for a really great novel. Great novels, despite the fluidity of good literature, do tend to follow a formula - a formula that a great artist (and writing is an art) is able to adept to and mold in to his own creation.

A great novel is sweeping. Sweeping or sprawling. These are descriptions you often hear of great books. Benjamin Percy described The Nix as "culturally relevant, politically charged, historically sweeping, sad, full of yearning, sometimes dark, but mostly hilarious." This is something that could also be described with another great American novel, The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay by Michael Chabon, which one critic refered to as a novel with "epic sweep."

Chabon's book swept through roughly three decades - the three protagonists met in the 1930s and only resolved their problems and tensions in the 1950s. Nathan Hill's characters …

Evoke Part Nine: An Art Project By Jordan Denato and Orion Deschamps

RST on Facebook

About Radical Second Things

Michael Orion is a blogger, writer, artist and photographer based in the Bay Area. Besides his maintenance and promotion of Radical Second Things, he contributes to the San Francisco newspaper SF Western Edition, where he writes about local non-profit organizations.

Mark Cappetta is a practicing Catholic and active LGBT activist. He has been instrumental in keeping Radical Second Things and updates the Facebook account almost daily.

Eva Gnostiquette is an artist, programmer, "future scientist," bi-trans girl and graphic designer. She voluntarily helped to create the first print issue Radical Second Things and designed our beautiful banners. Thanks so much, Eva!

Jordan Denato is a professional artist based out of Iowa. He took the initiative to illustrate both Jennifer Reimer's story and Michael Orion's Oscar Romero work. He has his own art studio, Tar and Feather Studios, and is a critical part of Radical Second Things.

Radical Second Things is a liberation theology themed blog that has clear cut goals - we see the structural decline of the United States and much of the west and hope to present alternatives that will offer "a preferential option for the poor" as more become vulnerable.

© 2017 Radical Second Things